Link Indication is a WordPress 2.9 and 3.0+ compatible plugin that applies CSS class attributes to the links (anchor tags) in your posts, pages, and optionally in your comments. Thereby you can indicate your links, e.g. by images, for characterizing your types of links.
Additionally, you can apply class attributes to special filename extensions, such as .pdf, .xls, .jpg, etc.
The plugin is applied at display time, not while a post is being saved. This means that this plugin can be integrated at any time, it will modify the rendering of existing posts and comments as soon as the plugin is enabled.
|Examples for URLs:||Examples for filename extensions:|
These URLs and filename extensions are fully configurable and you can add an unlimited number of rules.
target="_blank"to all external hyperlinks
rel="nofollow"to specific hyperlinks
- Display websnapr website preview thumbnails
for WordPress 2.3 and later (incl. WP 3.0 +)
Additionally, I have prepared several icons for download: images.zip (22k).
Also, check out my link collection for more icons.
Link Indication can be installed in 3 easy steps:
- Decompress the .zip archive and upload the files into your plugins folder (typically located at
- Enable the plugin in the WordPress Plugins admin page.
- Navigate to WordPress Administration » Settings » Link Indication and alter the settings.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: I have problems when using the Post Teaser plugin and Link Indication. Can you help?
Answer: With Post Teaser plugin version 3.7, the author Jonathan has fixed an issue that caused empty Post Teaser options when updating Link Indication.
- Question: In the Internet Explorer, sometimes the icon is not displayed after the link. Why?
Answer: This is an IE bug, and you can see this issue also e.g. on Wikipedia.
Here you can see how to solve it: Inline Wrap Bug of Internet Explorer
- Question: Although I’ve followed the instructions, the external links are not changing / no image is being applied.
Answer: Have you refreshed the browser’s cache?
Do you like my work? Any donation would be highly appreciated.
- Thanks for the following localizations: Gianni Diurno (Italian), Fat Cow (Belorussian), Patricia (Russian)
- Thanks to Johannes Ruthenberg for his suggestion & implementation of the new option „image links“ and matching a file extension only if it is preceded by a dot.
Version History and Changelog
How to Report a Bug: Before you report a bug, please make sure you have double-checked that you have followed the above installation instructions correctly.
Please send me your bug report by e-mail.
Bug reports are highly appreciated and will help for the continuous improvement of this plugin, however I can’t promise to get back to you in time regarding your reported bug.